Habitat for Humanity Upcoming Projects
Randolph Road, Silver Spring, MD
Habitat and AHC, Inc., a nonprofit affordable rental provider, will build a mixed income, affordable housing development on 6 acres of County owned land. This innovative partnership will create 195 high quality, affordable rental and ownership opportunities in Silver Spring, Maryland.
Habitat Metro Maryland will build 27 homeownership units as part of the larger Randolph Road Community which co-locates 3 single family detached homes and 24 owner-occupied condos on a larger parcel with 160+ rental units.
Habitat Metro Maryland will also provide extensive training on condo association management, create the condominium documents, and ensure that a reserve fund is in place upon sale of the homes.
Construction is scheduled to begin in 2023, stay tuned for more information as it becomes available.
Check out live updates here.
Habitat for Humanity Current Projects
Duplex, Takoma Park, MD
In partnership with the City of Takoma Park, Habitat is purchasing a single family home in the City that will be subdivided into a duplex, creating two affordable homes. This home will serve as demonstration project for missing middle housing typologies and will help provide affordable homeownership opportunities within one mile of a future Purple Line station. The project is expected to start in Spring of 2021. More information will be posted as it becomes available.
Landover, MD- Completed November 2021
Suitland, MD- Completed June 2021
Capitol Heights, MD - Completed May 2020
Fairmount Heights, MD -- Completed January 2020
District Heights, MD – Completed June 2019
Hyattsville, MD – Completed December 2018
Lanham, MD – Completed June 2018
Upper Marlboro, MD – Completed June 2018
Largo, MD – Completed June 2018
Burtonsville, MD – Completed June 2016
Riverdale, MD – Completed October 2016
Landover, MD – Completed on July 30th 2016
Hyattsville, MD – Completed on June 18, 2016
HFHMM is looking for suitable land in Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties on which to build affordable housing. Smaller, 1 to 5 acre, properties are perfect. If you are interested in donating a parcel of land, please contact Jeff Dee, President & CEO at 301-990-0014 ext. 20 or Jeff.Dee@HabitatMM.org.
HFHMM is looking for distressed properties than can be rehabilitated and sold to low-income families. Donated properties can be written off as tax deductions or HFHMM can pay cash for single family or townhouse properties in “as is” condition. Please contact Jeff Dee, President & CEO at 301-990-0014 ext. 20 or Jeff.Dee@HabitatMM.org.
Habitat for Humanity Past Projects
- HFHMM achieved record high project numbers! To start, HFHMM rehabilitated and sold four previously vacant and distressed properties. All four of these properties were in Prince George’s County. Each home was completely gutted of major systems (Plumbing, electrical, HVAC), flooring, drywall, roof etc. and built back new for qualified buyers.
- HFHMM’s Repair Program for existing homeowners has also been growing. In 2018, we completed 26 Repair projects across Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties. Repairs included; roof replacement, accessible bathroom modifications, furnace/AC replacement and more. Eight of the total 26 projects completed were for veteran households.
- Finally, HFHMM’s Weatherization program, also for existing homeowners, was able to assess insulation levels/energy efficiency needs and implement energy saving improvements (completely free of charge) in 48 households across Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties.
- All of this equates to a record high number of projects completed during any calendar year in our history-78!
- Rehabilitation: HFHMM completed work on a rehabbed property, having completely gutted the home and rebuilt it over the course of 5 months. We also completed work on a recycle property, which is one that HFHMM purchased back from a Habitat partner family who had improved their economic circumstances and then we sold it to another partner family. Additionally, we completed 33 repair projects and 20 weatherization projects throughout Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties.
- Rehabilitation: HFHMM purchased 4 distressed, vacant and foreclosed homes in the winter of 2015. The homes were completely gutted and rehabbed over the course of 7 months. Two of the homes were sold to two income-qualified families in June 2016. The third home was sold in July 2016.
- Recycle: HFHMM rehabilitated a home in Gaithersburg that was sold to an income qualified family in the fall of 2015. The home has three bedrooms and one and a half baths and is located on a 0.83 acre site.
- New Construction: 19 townhomes in Gaithersburg. Over 70 new homeowners purchased and moved in to their homes in October
- Weatherization: 15 Homes throughout the county. HFHMM partnered with 36 individuals resulting in an average projected annual savings of $451 per household
- Repair: Six Homes throughout the county. HFHMM completed seven Major and six Minor Repair projects, including HVAC replacements, roof repairs, and plumbing repairs, among others
- Weatherization: 20 Homes throughout the County. HFHMM partnered with 45 low to moderate income residents
- Minor Repair: One Single Family Home in Chevy Chase, HFHMM removed vines from the side of a home and grinded down a tree stump
- Exterior Home Repair: 23 Homes in Takoma Park, in partnership with the city of Takoma Park, HFHMM complete these projects through out the city. These projects ranged from railing replacements, window replacements, porch repair, fence repair, sidewalk construction, ramp construction, and landscaping
- Rehabilitation: Three Single Family Homes in Silver Spring and Colesville. HFHMM continued its Neighborhood Revitalization Program this phase included HFHMM’s first Pride Build Home sponsored by the LGBT Community
- Weatherization: 29 Homes throughout the county. HFHMM served nearly 115 low income residents. HFHMM weatherized 17 owner-occupied homes and 12 homes in partnership with St. Luke’s House a nonprofit that provides housing for adults with developmental disabilities
- Critical Repair: Two Single Family Homes in Chevy Chase and Germantown. HFHMM expanded its home repair program in 2012. Work included major landscape re-grading to prevent water from entering a crawl space, mold remediation and energy upgrades including the replacement of an unsafe oil boiler with a new energy efficient model
- Minor Repair: Single Family Home in Boyds, HFHMM in partnership with a local faith group repainted a house and repaired a back porch for a long time Montgomery County resident
- Rehabilitation: Two Single Family and One Townhome throughout Montgomery County. HFHMM continued its Neighborhood Revitalization Program
- Weatherization: 37 Single Family Homes and Townhomes throughout Montgomery County. HFHMM launched a new program with the goal of providing free basic weatherization services to increase energy efficiency in the home. Partnering with The Jewish Foundation for Group Homes
- Rehabilitation: 12 Single Family Homes and One Townhome in Silver Spring. HFHMM partnered with Montgomery County Government to in its Neighborhood Revitalization Program: to rehabilitate vacant foreclosed properties in designated areas of Montgomery County. As a part of the program the first Women Build Sponsored home was completed in 2010
- Rehabilitation: Single Family Home in Silver Spring. HFHMM continued its Neighborhood Revitalization Program
- Clarksburg: Three MPDU condominiums in Clarksburg. Thanks to the generous financial contribution of Ken and Nancy Malm, Craftstar Homes sold HFHMM the condos at a reduced cost
- New Construction: 24 Townhomes in Burtonsville, this was our largest project to date
- New Construction: Single Family Home in Poolesville: This home was the affiliate’s first full church sponsored home
- New Construction: Four Townhomes in Silver Spring: The lots were donated by Craftmark Homes and construction was financed by OBA Bank
- New Construction: Single Family Home in Poolesville, Turner Movie Classics (TMC) and Comcast provided full sponsorship for the construction of this house. Stan and Barbara Benning donated the land for this project
- New Construction: Single Family Home in Rockville, this project involved working with the city of Rockville and County to upgrade the water and sewer lines for the whole street. Members of the Montgomery County Bar Association provided substantial financial, volunteer, and construction supervision for this project
- Rehabilitation: Condominium in Gaithersburg, HFHMM purchased this foreclosed property from Montgomery County in partnership with Housing and Urban Development (HUD). A major overhaul was done on the electrical, plumbing, and heating systems
- Rehabilitation: Single Family Home in Rockville, this property was donated by the former owner. The attic was converted to an additional bedroom
- Rehabilitation: Single Family Home in Silver Spring. Habitat renovated this former dentist’s office into a three bedroom, two bath unit. This project was “The Houses That Congress Built” site for Rep. Al Wynn (Congressman from Maryland’s Fourth District). Freddie Mac also made a large donation for this project
- Rehabilitation: Duplex in Silver Spring, the property was purchased from HUD. Target Stores supported to rehabilitate the house as part of their “Building A Wonderful Life” program. St. George’s Greek Orthodox Church helped to sponsor build
- New Construction: Single Family Home in Silver Spring, three homes were built simultaneously on this street
- Rehabilitation: Single Family Home in Rockville, this house was donated by Pulte Homes and was moved from Germantown
- New Construction: Single Family Home in Kensington
- New Construction: Single Family Home in Rockville
- New Construction: Single Family Home in Sandy Spring
- New Construction: Single Family Home in Sandy Spring, HFHMM’s first home built
subscribe to our newsletter
Click the link below to sign up to receive our newsletter.